Edward J. Connor '92

Dean of Admissions

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Applications, Oscars, and Basketball

The counseling staff is in the throes of application review and we are getting to know the applicant pool very well. Many of us are spending a good part of our evenings and weekends reading the essays, recommendations, and transcripts that have been submitted. We've just surpassed last year's application count and have set another all time high for applications. I am pleased to see all the interest in WPI.

A good part of my weekend was dedicated to the very same, although I did take a break to watch the Academy Awards on Sunday. Now I thought I had done well this year and I would be familiar with many of the movies up for awards, however I was only fooling myself once again. I can share that I thoroughly enjoyed 3:10 to Yuma, American Gangster, and Eastern Promises but it looks like I still have some viewing to do when things quiet down in May!!

If you've been to campus recently you have probably heard about the new apartment style residence hall opening this summer. Everything is on track for an August opening. The housing selection process for upper-class students was completed just a few days ago and I am excited to share that it seems to be a big hit!! It is filled to capacity for next year. If you haven't had a chance to check it out see the web site and live web cam -http://www.wpi.edu/About/NewResHall/. Of course you may want to wait until the snow stops!!

And last but not least, congratulations to all the winter sports teams as the season winds down. The Women's Basketball team finished the season 14-9 and will be hosting a first round playoff game Wednesday night at WPI. Not to be outdone, the Men's Basketball team wrapped up another tremendous season with a 20-5 record and will be hosting the NEWMAC semi-final game at WPI this Saturday at 1PM. Come on out and cheer on WPI!!

See you at the game....

Ed

1 comment:

kohos said...

the residence hall looks like a mini luxury apartment building..looks really nice, great architecture.!!