Edward J. Connor '92

Dean of Admissions

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Usain Bolt and a foot of snow!!

Just in case you didn't believe me winter is indeed here!! WPI closed at noon yesterday in anticipation of a significant snowfall. The forecasters weren't wrong as you can see from my kitchen window this morning. The day was filled with snow blowing and shoveling...and just a bit of Christmas shopping. I am watching my beloved Cowboys losing to the Ravens as I type this...but I digress!!




The snow reminded me of our incoming students who will begin their studies at WPI in January. We will welcome about 30 new students to WPI next month. Some will be first time college students and otters will be transferring their studies to WPI for our spring terms. Some students will be coming from Massachusetts, but the snow made me thing of some of the other students coming from further distances...Greece and Jamaica for example. Each fall we welcome students from around the globe to WPI and some of those students have never experienced cold weather or seen snow for that matter. At least those students have a few months to ease into the cold weather...it may be a severe shock to the system for some of our incoming students in January!! Now I understand that Olympic Champion Sprinter Usain Bolt was in Boston last night and in attendance at the Celtics game...I figure if he can tolerate the snow our new students will be OK:)


That being said, we are of course looking forward to welcoming the new group of students wherever they might hail from and I hope to have the chance to meet you all in January.

Ed

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm rather sad that I won't be able to have the snow experience in January. However, I'm looking forward to joining WPI in Fall 09 and experience the snow then. Watch out WPI here I come.